Date for 2023: Sunday, May 21 11 AM - 5 PM
More information coming soon!
“Yes, I will spend the livelong day
With Nature in this month of May” - W.H. Davies
Come celebrate the end of Winter at Historic Smithville Park in Eastampton, NJ.
On Sunday, May 15, from 11 am to 5 pm, we will be "Bringing in the May" and celebrating the storied history of Hezekiah & Agnes Smith and the Smithville Mansion with a free event for the whole family.
Built in 1840, the mansion is the former home of Hezekiah B. Smith, an inventor, entrepreneur, and politician who founded the company town of Smithville in the late 1800s, an international center for the production of woodworking machinery and the Star Bicycle.
There will be fun for everyone, with a historic twist:
- Live Music by the Golden Eagle Band, Pinelands Dulcimer Society, the Village Carolers, Libby Prison Minstrels and History on the Hoof’s Fife & Drum.
- Theatrical Melodramas performed by Riddlesbrood Touring Theater and the Bridge Players Theatre Company.
- Storytelling by Ladyhawke in our Boxwood Garden Maze & Fairy Glen with a special performance by Tim Hoh’s Music for Kids.
- Face Painting (additional charge to benefit the Friends of the Mansion at Smithville)
- Meet Hezekiah & Agnes and hear stories of Smithville past, including one about their most unusual pet, February.
- Historic Arts & Crafts Demonstrations; Blacksmith, Tintype Photography, Basket Weaving
- Tours of the stately Historic Smithville Mansion decorated with period furniture ($5 additional benefitting the Friends of the Mansion at Smithville) and tours of the grounds (Free)
- The New Jersey Wheelmen will be displaying their vintage bicycles
- Horse & Carriage rides
- The Athletic Base Ball Club of Philadelphia will introduce the Burlington County community to the sociable and well-played game that defined 1864 baseball by competing against the newly reassembled Smithville Industrial Village Baseball Team – a match 135 years in the making.
- Carnival games with prizes
- Kids Craft Activities
- Artisan Marketplace with over 30 talented local artisans displaying a variety of handmade items.
- History groups from all over Burlington County sharing their stories.
- Foodies bring your appetites; we’ll have Food Trucks!