What does a person do on finding a family member deceased?
The police and emergency medical personnel should be called by dialing 911 and they will respond. If there is sufficient medical history, and nothing to suggest any other cause of death, the doctor who was treating the deceased will be contacted. The treating doctor may issue an appropriate death certificate and the family can have the body moved to the funeral home of their choice. If a Medical Examiner investigation is warranted, then the body will be taken by the Medical Examiner investigator. Upon conclusion of the investigation by the Medical Examiner, the body may be released to the funeral home of the family’s choice.

Show All Answers

1. How can I obtain copies of reports?
2. How can I obtain a copy of the death certificate?
3. How do we claim or recover the decedent’s body?
4. Do all medical examiner cases get autopsied?
5. What is an autopsy?
6. What if the family does not want an autopsy?
7. What does a person do on finding a family member deceased?
8. Can we visit and view the decedent at your facility?
9. If I have questions about the autopsy or toxicology reports, can I get an explanation of the medical information?
10. Must I do anything differently if a baby dies unexpectedly?
11. Does the family pay for any of the Medical Examiner services?
12. Who can we call for additional information, counseling, or assistance?