Did you know that January is National Get Organized Month?
Get Organized Month has been around since 2005 thanks to the National Association of Professional Organizers. Research shows that people waste as much as an hour a day, on average, looking for things they’ve misplaced. That means that many of us waste as much as 15 days every year because of disorganization. So, it clearly pays to get organized because time is the one commodity none of us can recover.
The key to getting organized successfully is not as much about developing a system but more about sticking to that system. Remember, celebrating Get Organized Month is about getting your life in order to help you save time. You might not be able to save that full hour every day, but even if you save half of that time, it means an extra 7 days you can spend doing something more productive every year!
Below are some tips to help kick start you getting organized for the New Year!
- Put everything away as soon as you can
- Make daily “to-do” lists
- Keep a planner and keep it up-to-date
- Devote 5-10 minutes a day to organizing
- Keep a notepad/journal handy
- Dispose of stuff you haven’t used/wore in the last 3 months
- Treat time like money
- Plan meals in advance
- Tell friends and family about getting organized
- Set deadlines for yourself
- Delegate as much as you can
- Reward yourself when tasks have been accomplished