A printable checklist (PDF) is available.
Code of Federal Regulations Title 22, Section 51.28 Effective February 01, 2008, there will be several changes in the acceptance of passport applications for children:
- Requirement for anyone under 16 years old - personal appearance of all parent(s) listed on birth certificate and any previous issued passport of minor.
- Consent for passport issuance will be required from all parent(s) listed or documentation as to why that is not possible for both parents to appear for children under age 16.
- All parents names need to be on the birth certificate.
- If child has a previous passport they will need to submit that in addition to the birth certificate.
In Order to Apply
To apply for a passport you must have the following:
A long form birth certificate that lists both mother and/or father issued by Vital Statistics with a raised seal.
It must also have a file/registration date.
A photocopy of that birth certificate must be sent with application along with original seal.
Copies without a raised seal, hospital certificates and birth registrations cannot be accepted. To obtain a birth certificate, contact the state or municipality of the birth or go to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vital Records section. Note that when you visit the mentioned website, you will be taken outside of the county domain.
You may also need a naturalization certificate (if applicable). You also need to submit a photocopy of the certificate as well as original.
For an expired passport, you need:
- 2 recent professional 2" X 2" photographs. $10 a set added to the Burlington County Clerk's fee.
- Total fees of $145 for adult passports, $110 by check or money order only payable to Department of State, and $35 by check, money order, or credit / debit card for the Burlington County Clerk's fee.
- Total fees of $105 for minor passports, $80 by check or money order only payable to Department of State, and $35 by check, money order, or credit / debit card for the Burlington County Clerk's fee.
- A valid New Jersey Driver's License. If your New Jersey Driver's License is a duplicate, please bring additional identification, such as a social security card, employment or student photo I.D. card. You will also need a photocopy of the front and back of that ID.